The first recipe I tried was a bust. I made one batch (6 large donuts) and had the second in the oven when I tasted one of the first batch. It was…well, it was disgusting. I told the husband I was going to start over, and he insisted on trying one. He tried to make a polite, “Mmm!” face, but the grimace broke through. So, I dumped the batter and searched for another recipe.
- Instead of 2 cups all-purpose flour, I used 1 cup whole wheat and 1 cup unbleached all-purpose
- For butter, I used Earth Balance Soy Free Baking Sticks
- For milk, I used almond milk. I have also made them with rice milk because of a nut allergy in my son’s class.
- I’ve made them before with 2 egg whites instead of 1 egg. I did this just to make them healthier, and it does change the taste and texture a bit, but my preschooler and husband still thought they were yummy.
- Instead of piping onto parchment lined baking sheets, I used Wilton Donut Pans. I did find, however, that putting the dough into a small ziploc, cutting the corner off, and piping the dough in helped with the small donut pan.